Examples of Disability Discrimination
Disability discrimination can manifest in a variety of ways. Examples of disability discrimination may include:
- Asking job applicants invasive questions about their past or current medical conditions.
- Requiring job applicants to take medical examinations.
- Building or maintaining a workplace with substantial impediments to the movement of people with physical disabilities.
- Harassing an employee because of their disability.
- Refusing to provide reasonable accommodations to employees with physical or mental disabilities that would better allow them to do their jobs.
- Discriminating on the basis of physical or mental disability in various aspects of employment, including assignments, benefits, firing, hiring, leave, pay, promotions, recruitment, training, and all other employment-related activities.
However, disability discrimination doesn’t always look the same from case to case. If you believe you have been discriminated against based on a disability, write down what happened and save any evidence or records that might corroborate your experience. You can use this to file a complaint and/or to hire a lawyer.
Learn How We Can Help You Protect Your Rights
While we unfortunately cannot take away from the frustration, pain, and trauma your employer and/or coworkers may have caused due to your disability, we can help to ensure all parties involved are held accountable for their actions. At Sconzo Law Office, P.A., we are prepared to fight hard to uphold your legal rights and hopefully deter your employer from repeating such behavior in the future.
If you are still uncertain whether you have a case or would like to take legal action, please do not hesitate to contact our West Palm Beach lawyers to discuss your options during a free and confidential consultation.